It’s with embarrassment that I must admit my lack of hobbies. Aside from reading, writing and wellbeing; my interests largely revolve around food, drink and socialising!
I just don’t seem to have found my ‘thing’. My creative talents are non-existent although I do enjoy lobbing paint on an empty egg box with the toddler and I have found myself passing the time with an adult colouring book. The intentions were there for the crafts – the crochet yarn, the sewing machine, the scrapbooks, the jam jars, the candle making kit…I’ve got the lot safely stored in the cupboards, all as yet untouched. Team or competitive sports also not my greatest strength…my attempt to learn to play tennis as an adult was pretty similar to my childhood experience, an epic fail resulting in tears of humiliation. And let’s not focus too much either on my inability to learn any form of Zumba, aerobics, street dance routine…dancing round my handbag at your cheesiest club in town, well, then I’m your girl.
I could go on but it’s nothing to be proud of. Lack of time, lack of passion, lack of skill…I just don’t know. I’m sure you are all busy bees filling your time…but, just in case you too are looking for a new pastime pleasure…here’s some inspiration for classes or courses in and around St Albans.
- The BeauSandVer Consortium offer classes in modern languages, arts and crafts, wellbeing and employability.
Upcoming courses are Assertiveness/Boost your Confidence/Succeed and Get That Job – ideal if you’re job hunting, planning a career change or looking to do some personal development. Visit the website for more details.
- Take a community learning course at Oaklands College: Courses include: Computing, Creative writing, Floral design, Interior Design, Pottery, Printmaking, Sign language, Spanish.
- Cellar Door Wines: regular wine tastings, follow their Facebook page for event details
- Hertfordshire Wine School: evening tastings or 4 / 8 week wine courses
- Majestic Wines: look at their events calendar for upcoming tasting events
- The Beer Shop: regular beer tasting events
- Tomoka Spirits Boutique: champagne and spirit tasting events.
- ArtHouse 16: classes on Fridays 10.30am
- Liz Rogers Art: weekly art classes, daytime and evening. Six week courses. Full day workshops.
- Colour Me In Art School: classes on Tuesdays 8-9:30pm.
Using Static Trapeze, Silks, Rope, Hoop and Aerial Hammocks. Classes held at Herts Dance and Fitness.
- Chocolate making classes with The Choccie Drop.
- Cupcake decorating classes with Heaven is a Cupcake. Like the Facebook page to hear about new workshops.
- The Cobbled Kitchen: one to one cooking classes, 3-part beginners cookery course, cookery social with friends, daytime cookery club.
There are loads of great workshops on at Cositas, 32-34 Holywell Hill, St Albans – neon sign making, modern lettering, watercolour painting, knitting, furniture painting, fragrance making plus more. See website for more details.
- Ballroom and Latin American lessons (group and private) taught by International Champion dancer. Visit the St Albans School of Dance website for full timetable of classes (beginners – advanced).
- Clubbercise is a dance fitness class to club anthems, taught in a darkened room with disco lights and glow sticks. Classes are drop-in so no need to book in advance.
- Find your inner diva with Naomi Czuba Dance. If you love music and love to dance then this fitness class is for you. Monday evenings and Wednesday mornings in St Albans.
- Get active and let your hair down with Popdance – fun dance classes with a pop soundtrack featuring music from the 80s through to current hits. Loads of times and locations, visit the website to find the best one for you.
- Penny Waterman School of Dance run adult tap lessons on Tuesday evenings and adult ballet on Thursday evenings. Visit the website for more information.
- Swing dancing: Tuesday evenings, 7.45-11:00pm at the Jubilee Centre, Catherine Street, St Albans. Beginners welcome. Visit the Jive Swing website for more details.
- Tap dancing and dance-fit classes with Pixie Studios Founder, Nicola Anne. Classes are held on Wednesday evenings at The Marlborough Science Academy, from 8pm.
FoodSmiles is a community agriculture project. Subscribers work together to grow organic food in Harpenden and St Albans.
Rachel Jeffrey Jewellery School: Beginners class on Tuesday evenings. You’ll make either a Ring or Bangle, then Pendant, Cufflinks or Earrings. Other courses also available. Wheathampstead venue.
- Life drawing St Albans: Monday evenings or Sunday afternoons. Trestle Arts Base, St Albans.
- Pop up drawing club: Instead of drawing a nude model, you will draw a model dressed in a costume. Each drawing session will centre around an imaginative theme, with iconic background soundtracks.
- Mindful Pathway: 8 week mindfulness courses and 1 day retreats
- Rise n Shine: mindful parenting courses and drop-in mindfulness practice sessions.
- Abbey Flyers Netball Club: Tuesdays 8.30pm, Sandringham School. Details can be found on their Facebook page.
- Mum’s Netball Group: Wednesdays 8pm, on the courts next to Spencer Sports Hall in Sandridge. Join the Facebook group to let them know you’re interested.
Philosophy in St Albans: Practical Philosophy course – ten evening classes on Wednesdays, 7.30-9.45 pm at Friends’ Meeting House, Upper Lattimore Road, St Albans. Find out more and register on the website.
Stephanie Belton photography course: Beginners courses, Monday/Wednesday evenings or Thursday mornings.
There is no shortage of places to do Pilates in St Albans, here are some that our members go to:
Play the Ukuele
The St Albans Ukulele Club meets every Wednesday (during term times) at the Crown Pub, 144-146 Hatfield Rd, St Albans, 8-9pm. Bring a uke and join the fun. All welcome, no experience necessary.
Flow Motion Pole Fitness: Classes run as a monthly courses, choose from 8 evening classes a week, held at two St Albans venues – details are on the website.
Athena women’s running group: St Albans, 8 week beginners training. On completion become a member to attend social or development sessions.
Fashion n Fabrics (24 Beech Road, St Albans) hold a variety of classes including: learn to use a sewing machine, crochet, dress-making, patchwork quilting, embroidery.
- Mamas with Voices is a choir for the Mums of St Albans to get together and sing gospel, soul, and pop. Wednesday evenings (term time), 7.45-9.45pm. Small Hall, Garden Fields JMI School, Townsend Drive, St Albans.
- Rock Choir: everyone is welcome, no auditions, fun rehearsals singing well-known hit songs. The St Albans Rock Choir meets on a Thursday at 8pm – other times and locations can be found on the website.
- Secret Singers Choir: no singing or music reading experience needed, music arrangements will cater for all different ability levels. Saturdays in St Albans at 1pm. There is also a family choir to encourage whole families (of all ages) to share in the fun of singing.
Take to the slopes or book up for a skiing lesson at Hemel Snow Centre.
- Abbey Theatre membership – become a member to take part in auditions, training and social gatherings. You’ll also be entitled to discounted tickets and able to apply for backstage and front of house roles etc
- Adult acting group – workshop for adults interested in acting. An opportunity to explore, play, learn and discover new skills with a professional theatre director. Weekly, 7.45-9.15pm, Potters Bar.
- St Albans Musical Theatre Company – get involved on stage or behind the scenes roles.
- BOUNCE: Performed on mini trampolines, ((BOUNCE))™ makes exercise fun with choreographed dance routines. Daytime and evening classes.
- Gravity Force: General trampoline sessions or there are some evening classes which are a 1 hour high intensity – low impact structured fitness class.
- Good Neighbour Scheme: visit the website to volunteer for befriending, grocery shopping, or DIY help.
- St Albans Cathedral Volunteers: roles include helping with the day-to-day running of the Cathedral and offering a warm welcome to visitors. Visit the website to see all the different activities you can volunteer for.
- Volunteer St Albans: visit the website for current volunteering opportunities and application details.
The Women’s Institute
Herts Belles: St Albans W.I. They meet on the third Wednesday of the month at the Jubilee Centre, St Albans. Follow their Facebook page for details of upcoming events.
- Clarity Yoga Shala: 65 Hatfield Road, St Albans. Weekly yoga classes including beginners, wellbeing workshops and treatments.
- The Yoga Hall: 11 Hatfield Road, St Albans. More than 20 different classes across the week. All classes are ‘drop-in’ so no need to book in advance.
- Yogi Herts: evening yoga by candlelight class. Tuesdays, 8.15pm in St Albans and Thursdays, 8pm in Potters Bar.
- Yoga with Kirsty Brooks: weekly classes; beginners courses as well as more challenging classes and one day yoga retreats. St Albans venues.
There we go. A long post I admit (sorry!) But hopefully, if you’re looking for a new hobby, you might have found something you like the sound of. Do let me know if you have a different hobby or activity you enjoy which you think deserves a mention. And, if like me, your hobbies consist more of the bath/book/glass of wine type then don’t forget to come along to one of our St Albans book club events (I can’t offer the bath element but I’ll swap it for some great conversation and company instead).
Happy hobbying (not actually a word, but I like it!)