How did you find last week? I hope you’re doing ok – these are difficult times, especially being back in lockdown! I thought l’d share some things that helped me last week. These things haven’t been a magic fix of course. There have still been moments of frustration and anxiety. But these have helped take some of the raw edge off.
It’s not always easy to feel grateful nor to find the positive in what is a pretty crappy start to 2021! I’m well aware that tomorrow may look very different. Next week and the week after may feel much harder. All of these good intentions may fly out the window and there’ll be days where I’m shouting or sobbing (or both!) But I’ll just keep taking it gently, one day at a time, and I hope you’ll do the same. Find what works for you and reach out to someone when it all feels like too much to carry on your own.
So, these are ten things that helped me feel better and slightly more sane in week 1 of lockdown #3:
- Getting up earlier than the kids for some quiet me-time
- Ten minutes of morning meditation using Calm (another 10minutes in the afternoon if I can with Headspace )
- Yoga – I’m currently doing Yoga With Adriene 30 Days of yoga
- Daily gratitude – there’s something lovely about a new notebook to help restart some daily gratitude practice, putting a few things in each evening and encouraging my daughters to think of something before bed as well (they mainly focus on what snacks or TV they got to watch but hey, it’s a start)
- Daily diary with the kids – as well as doing the homeschool work, we’ve also got a notebook to write down any of the baking, walks, kitchen discos, games we’ve played etc – trying to focus us on the little things we are doing rather than the things we aren’t doing
- Drinking more water, and staying off the booze
- Getting outside for a walk – even if it’s only for 20 minutes round the block or when it gets dark if need be
- Dancing – loud music, kitchen dancing or home discos to lift the mood – inspired by our inner critic session with Jess Nicks Coaching last year, my daughters now ask Alexa to play Taylor Swift ‘shake it off’ every day and we all go for it dancing around – it’s great for changing our energy and shaking off some of that sh*t we’ve got on our mind
- Being kind to myself – or at least trying! Taking off some of the pressure and trying not to compare to others or mentally beat myself up too much
- Going to bed earlier – it means less of an evening to myself but makes it easier to do those earlier mornings.
I’d love to know what’s been helping you or what you think you might do to help you through this latest lockdown??? Please do comment here or join the conversation with me over on Facebook or Instagram.