Confession alert…I don’t really have a hobby. Aside from reading, writing and wellbeing; my interests largely revolve around food, drink and socialising! I just don’t seem to have found my ‘thing’ yet. Lack of time, lack of passion, lack of skill or just too many excuses! I’m sure you are all busy bees filling your time…but, just in case you too are looking for something new to do…here’s some inspiration for classes, courses and activities in and around St Albans.
- The BeauSandVer Consortium offer classes in languages, arts and crafts, wellbeing and lots more. Visit the website for more details.
- Take a community learning course at Oaklands College: courses include Computing, Creative writing, Floral design, Interior Design, Pottery, Printmaking, Sign language, Spanish.
Arts, crafts and creative classes
- Cositas Creative workshops: neon sign making, modern calligraphy, interior moodboards, art classes, knitting, furniture painting, and loads more!
Flower School St Albans: Floral styling workshops and seasonal/occasion events e.g. Easter and Christmas wreath making.
- Learn silversmith and jewellery skills with The Rachel Jeffrey Jewellery School – one day / 4-week / 10-week courses and master classes – beginners to advanced.
- Libby Dillon Art: oil painting classes, small groups, weekend workshops, 6-week courses Wednesday/Friday mornings.
- Life drawing St Albans: Monday evenings or Sunday afternoons. Trestle Arts Base, St Albans.
- Liz Rogers Art: weekly art classes, daytime and evening. Six week courses. Full day workshops.
- Mosaic classes with Montet Designs – Friday/Saturday mornings, dates throughout the year.
- Paint, drink, listen to music with Brush Party St Albans, monthly event, The Crown Pub, 7-10pm.
- Ballroom and Latin American lessons (group and private) at St Albans School of Dance, beginners – advanced.
- Ceroc: lessons Thursdays, 7.45pm Marlborough Science Academy and weekend freestyle party nights.
- Clubbercise: drop-in dance fitness class; club anthems, darkened room, disco lights and glow sticks.
- Find your inner diva with Naomi Czuba Dance. Drop in, pay as you go classes, Mondays-Thursdays, London Colney.
- Jazz and ballet, Monday evenings at St Pauls Church, with Angie’s Dance Academy.
- Penny Waterman School of Dance run adult tap lessons on Tuesday evenings and adult ballet on Thursday evenings.
- Popdance – dance classes with a pop soundtrack from the 80s through to current hits. Lots of times and locations.
- Salsa classes and freestyle sessions with Salsa Mish, Fridays from 7.30pm.
- Scottish highland and country dancing with Caper Ceilidh, Harpenden, Mondays/Fridays.
- Swing dancing with Jive Swing, Tuesday evenings, 7.45-11:00pm, Jubilee Centre St Albans. Beginners welcome.
- Tap dancing and dance-fit classes with Pixie Studios, Wednesday evenings, Marlborough Science Academy, 8pm.
Fitness and sports
- Abbey Flyers Netball Club: Tuesdays 8.30pm, Sandringham School. Details can be found on their Facebook page.
- Athena women’s running group: St Albans, 8 week beginners training. On completion become a member to attend social or development sessions.
- BOUNCE: Performed on mini trampolines, ((BOUNCE))™ makes exercise fun with choreographed dance routines. Daytime and evening classes.
- Boxercise, Circuits, Legs Bums Tums with BPM Fitness: Monday/Thursday mornings (babies welcome)
- Iguana Pole Fitness: Monday/Wednesday evenings, All Saints Studio, beginners welcome.
- Pole fitness, aerial yoga, aerial circus classes with Herts Dance and Fitness. Private sessions also available.
- St Albans parkrun: Saturdays, 9:00am, Verulamium Park, 5km
- St Albans Trapeze and Aerial Arts: Saturdays, 4.30pm, beginners and improvers.
- Take to the slopes for skiing lessons or freestyle sessions at Hemel Snow Centre.
Food and drink
- Bread making at Redbournbury Mill: one day experience, learn baking techniques, make a variety of breads to take home with you.
- Chocolate making classes with The Choccie Drop.
- Cake decorating classes with Heaven is a Cupcake.
- The Cobbled Kitchen: one to one cooking classes, 3-part beginners cookery course, cookery social with friends.
- The Cooking Academy: variety of classes – Indian, Asian, Tapas, Thai, Vegetarian, knife skills etc.
- Vietnamese cooking classes in your own home with Taste of Vietnam St Albans.
- Cellar Door Wines: regular wine tastings, masterclasses, champagne tasting.
- Hertfordshire Wine School: evening tastings or 4 / 8 week wine courses.
- MUST wine bar: monthly wine / gin tasting events, Wednesday evenings.
- Tomoka Spirits Boutique: gin, rum, whiskey, champagne tasting events.
FoodSmiles is a community agriculture project. Subscribers work together to grow organic food in Harpenden and St Albans.
Mindful Pathway: 8 week mindfulness courses, graduate advanced courses and 1 day retreats.
Philosophy in St Albans: Practical Philosophy course – Wednesday evenings, introductory and follow on courses.
- Smartphone photography workshops with Jeanette Lendon Photography, London or Hertfordshire locations, group or individual.
- Stephanie Belton photography course: Beginners courses, Monday/Wednesday evenings or Thursday mornings.
There’s no shortage of places to do Pilates in St Albans, here are some that our members go to:
- Drop-in Pilates matwork, Mondays: 7.45 – 8.45PM with Sashas Dance and Pilates
- Chilli Pilates
- Intelligent Pilates
- The Pilates Rooms
- The Pilates Workshop
- Your Pilates
Play the Ukuele
The St Albans Ukulele Club meets every Wednesday (during term times) at the Crown Pub, 144-146 Hatfield Rd, St Albans, 8-9pm. Bring a uke and join the fun. All welcome, no experience necessary.
Fashion n Fabrics (Beech Road, St Albans) run a variety of classes including: learn to use a sewing machine, crochet, dress-making, patchwork quilting, hand embroidery.
- Mamas with Voices: choir for Mums – get together and sing gospel, soul, and pop. Wednesday evenings (term time), 7.45-9.45pm, Garden Fields JMI School.
- Rock Choir: everyone is welcome, no auditions, fun rehearsals singing well-known hit songs. The St Albans Rock Choir meets on a Thursday at 8pm.
- Abbey Theatre membership – become a member to take part in auditions, training and social gatherings. You’ll also be entitled to discounted tickets and able to apply for backstage and front of house roles etc.
- St Albans Musical Theatre Company – get involved on stage or behind the scenes roles.
Local community initiatives and organisations looking for volunteers:
- Communities 1st
- Good Neighbour Scheme
- St Albans Cathedral Volunteers
- St Albans & District Foodbank
The Women’s Institute
Herts Belles: St Albans W.I. Third Wednesday of the month. Arts, crafts, baking, dancing and lots more.
- Anna Banana Yoga: Fridays 9.30am, Inn on the Park
- Clarity Yoga Shala: Hatfield Road, St Albans. Weekly yoga classes – all levels, wellbeing workshops, and treatments.
- The Yoga Hall: Hatfield Road, St Albans. Lots of classes across the week. Most classes are ‘drop-in’, no need to book in advance.
- Yoga with Kirsty Brooks: weekly Vinyasa classes; beginners/mixed level/dynamic classes and yoga retreats (local and abroad).
There we go. A long post I admit (sorry!) But hopefully, if you’re looking for a new hobby, you might have found something you like the sound of. Do let me know if you have a different hobby or activity you enjoy which you think deserves a mention. (PS: here at Women Aloud we host regular women-only events if you’d like to join us).
Happy hobbying (not actually a word, but I like it!) x